Pinoy Dream Academy (also known as PDA) is the Philippine version of Endemol's Star Academy. The format is similar to Big Brother, where 16, later 20, finalists (billed as "scholars" throughout the series) will live inside the Academy for four months and will be trained by guest teachers to be multimedia performers. Activities in the Academy will be monitored 24/7 by the headmaster.
ABS-CBN affiliate Studio 23 is airing a companion program under the same title. It is a separate show from the flagship station that will feature scenes that were not shown on the ABS-CBN program and has different hosts.
Awit ng Pangarap ("Song of the Dream"), made during the show's run by contestants Yeng Constantino, Yvan Lambatan, and Kristoff Abrenica; became the main theme song of the show, although "We're All In This Together" was used earlier in the pre-season specials as the unofficial theme song.
ABS-CBN has just announced last September 1, 2007 (Entertainment Live) that there will be an audition for the next season of Pinoy Dream Academy. It is also said that one of the new host will be Ryan Agoncillo and the new Headmaster will Mr. Ryan Cayabyab.
Like the Pinoy Big Brother House, The Academy is found facing the ABS-CBN studios in Quezon City. Although it seemed that the Academy building is erected right next to the House, in reality, the living quarters of the Academy is the House area, modified and expanded to include the other rooms in the Academy, such as the administration rooms, dance studio and piano room. Next to the House is a concert hall where performances by the contestants would be held.
- Headmaster: Ryan Cayabyab (Season 2)
- Dance Teacher: Maribeth Bichara
- Fitness Teacher: Gretchen Malalad, Wendy Valdez (Season 2)
- Voice Teachers: Moy Ortiz, Annie Quintos, Cecile Bautista, and Sweet Plantado
- Diction Teacher: Von Arroyo, Mae Rivera (Season 2)
- Performance Teacher: Malou de Guzman
- Media Performance Teacher: Joey Reyes
- Songwriting Teacher: Raimund Marasigan
- Belly Dance Teacher: Kat Fonacier
- Media Ethics Teacher: Boots Anson Roa
- Technical Voice Teacher: Kitchie Molina (former juror of several PDA Performance Nights)